So, here it is... A simple but perfect BROWNIE. Period.
Recipe adapted from Maureen Callahan's Intense rich brownies.
Maida - 3/4 cup
Cocoa powder - 3/4 cup
Baking powder - 1/2 tsp
Sugar - 1 cup
Brown sugar - 1/2 cup (packed)
Salted butter - 6 tbsp (melted)
Semi-sweet chocolate - 85 gms (1/2 cup)
Milk - 1/3 cup
Vanilla essence - 1 tsp
Eggs - 2 (large)
Walnuts (chopped) - 1 cup
1. Preheat oven to 175°.
2.Grease and line a 10"x6" rectangle baking pan.
3.In a double boiler over low heat/microwave (for 30 seconds), melt chocolate with milk and remove from heat.
4.In a separate bowl, combine the first 5 dry ingredients. Mix the walnuts in it.
5.When the chocolate has cooled, whisk in the melted butter, eggs and vanilla.
6.Add the dry ingredients and fold gently to combine.
7.Pour batter into prepared baking pan.
8.Bake for 30-35 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out with moist crumbs clinging.
9. Let it cool completely for a couple of hours.
10. Slice and serve.
1. My 1 cup measures 240 ml.
2. Leave enough extra lining paper to overhang on the 2 long sides of the baking tray, so that you can grab the edges and use it as a sling to remove the brownies.
3. Use a serrated plastic knife to mark the squares and then just run over a pizza cutter to cut the brownies perfectly.
4. I got brownies of 1 inch thick.