Tuesday 3 January 2017

Fluffy Marshmallows


Marshmallows... A different textured sweet. Soft and fluffy like a cloud. My brother and me...we used to have these a lot when the Nilgiris Super store came to Pondicherry...during our school days at the end of 90's. Especially, my brother loved it. Now, my brother's son too loves marshmallows. Those days we could get only 2 flavors : Strawberry and Pineapple. We preferred the latter a lot. Hmmm...Nostalgic 😊 

Recently I have started experimenting with gelatin, yeast etc. Thus, my first choice was to try making my brother's favorite Marshmallows. 

I was excited with the successful outcome... It had the perfect taste and texture. And more than that I was so delighted seeing  my brother and his son munching away all the pieces 😊.  Now my brother's son demands me to make flavors of his choice when he comes to my place. I readily hop, skip n jump to my kitchen to make the cute ones for my cutie pie. 


Recipe adapted from Manju's cooking class

INGREDIENTS:
Gelatin - 3 tbsp (soaked in 1/2 cup of cold water for 10 mins) 
Sugar - 2 Cups
Corn flour - 2 tsp
Water - 1 Cup
Salt - a pinch
Strawberry essence - 1 Tbsp
Pink color - a few pinches

METHOD:
1. Mix sugar, corn flour, salt, essence, color and water. Bring to boil to a thick syrup consistency. Switch off fire.
2. Pour this mixture to the soaked gelatin and beat with an electric mixer at high speed for about 10 minutes. 
3. Pour this into a greased tray. And let it set overnight at room temperature. 
4.Cut into squares and dust with corn flour.
5. Store it in air tight containers. Stays well for 2-3 days in room temperature. 

NOTE:
1. My 1 cup measures 250 ml.
2. You can add any essence and the corresponding color to make different flavoured Marshmallows. 

2 comments:

  1. don’t think, I ever commented before, but I really like your blog- it’s one when I came back again and again because I really like your blog and love cake of different flavors. You posted beautiful cake and images in this article. Seriously I enjoyed the cake when I ordered from here.
    Best Baking Classes in Chennai
    Baking Courses in Chennai

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super post Baking classes in Chennai is the best place to become a professional baker. They cover the basics and provide more innovative baking techniques and tips to their students. Zeroin Academy has experienced chefs who know different kinds of recipes and always try to learn new things. They also share these tips with the students. You can learn about full bakery products, etc.

    ReplyDelete